Data Visualization and Analytics Lead
About Texas 2036
Texas 2036 uses data, research, and leading expertise to enable Texans to make informed decisions to ensure our state continues to be the best place to live and do business through its bicentennial in 2036 and beyond. Texas 2036 is achieving this mission by creating robust data resources, a long-term state policy strategic framework, and a statewide, non-partisan coalition of Texans advocating for meaningful long-term policy solutions. We are a dynamic, rapidly evolving organization seeking energetic individuals passionate about creating a long-term vision for the future of Texas and developing data-driven, pragmatic policy solutions to solve the state’s long-term challenges.
The Texas 2036 Data Team, led by the Director of Data and Analytics, implements a robust vision for the use of data in guiding state policy and develops the Texas 2036 digital data experience, including the Texas 2036 data platform and reporting tools. Members of the Data Team are smart data professionals interested in using their data skills to directly shape policy and public opinion on the topics that impact the future of Texas.
The Data Visualization and Analytics Lead is a technically proficient data analyst with a track record of creating clear, effective digital data visualizations, is experienced with administrative and public data, and is committed to improving the organization’s policy areas of focus. This role will be responsible for conducting robust data analyses, working with internal and external stakeholders (including policy and communications teams) to determine visualization needs, and developing effective digital data products and visualizations that communicate, in compelling and interactive ways, the most pressing issues for Texas today.
- Serve as front-end developer to design and deploy rich, performant, analytical applications from the ground up
- Help bring data stories to life through a variety of static and interactive visualizations
- Develop elegant solutions that elevate data and insights to a non-technical audience, and work directly with stakeholders to iterate and evolve impactful data products
- Manage data projects with external data vendors
- Support internal stakeholders with data analyses and visualizations
- Provide custom dashboards and visualizations for stakeholders
- Maintain internally and externally created interactive data products
- Serve as a strong analysis and visualization partner to other members of the Data Team
- Attend data-related meetings with data vendors, data collaboratives, conferences, and meetings with Texas 2036 consultants and partners, as needed
- Advise Director of Data and Analytics on data policy and governance, as needed
- Directly supervise and mentor other Data Team staff, as needed
- Perform other duties as assigned to help the organization achieve its long-term goals
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Data Science, Cognitive Science, Statistics, Mathematics, Health Science, Geospatial Sciences, Quantitative Social Science, or other data-intensive discipline
- 3+ years of experience in data analysis, visualization/design, and reporting
- Proficiency in statistical programming languages, such as R, SAS, or Stata
- Proficiency in modern scripting and data analysis packages that allow for reproducible analysis, such as NumPy, SciPy, pandas, scikit-learn, tidyverse, ggplot2, dplyr
- Proficiency with data visualization tools such as R Shiny, Tableau, Power BI
- Experience working with publicly-available datasets through APIs (e.g. U.S. Census, Bureau of Labor Statistics, Bureau of Economic Analysis)
- Strong UI/UX design skills, including developing thoughtful user experiences, considering layout, color, and other design elements to develop user-friendly web applications
- Knowledge of design concepts related to charting metaphors, the use of color and typography, and ability to design clear, intuitive visualizations
- Desire to see Texas be the best place to live and work through 2036 and beyond
- Highly motivated self-starter with strong, positive, ‘can do’ attitude and motivation to explore new technologies
- Proven team player and collaborator with an innovative spirit and ability to multi-task
- Strong verbal and written communication skills, particularly the ability to summarize technically complex information for a non-technical audience
- Data savvy personality with proven attention to detail and accuracy
- Excellent organization and prioritization skills
- Thrives in a dynamic, fast paced environment while managing many simultaneous projects
- Post-graduate degree (Master’s degree or higher)
- Background and experience in field related to Texas 2036 policy areas, including health care, education and workforce, or others
- 3+ years supervisory experience managing a team
- Sophisticated analytics and database skills, including proficiency in Python, SQL, and Github
- Familiarity with spatial analysis (ArcGIS, QGIS, or sf)
Compensation and Benefits
Compensation is commensurate with experience. Texas 2036 offers health, vision, and dental insurance including contributions by Texas 2036 toward employee premiums, cell phone reimbursement, and a 401(k) matching program.
The Data Visualization and Analytics Lead position will be based in Texas 2036’s Austin office and may be required to travel regularly (up to 30% of the time) to cities across Texas for meetings with various stakeholders, including board members, advisors, stakeholders, partners, and Texas 2036 colleagues.
Applicants for employment in the US must have work authorization that does not now or in the future require sponsorship of a visa for employment authorization in the United States and with Texas 2036 (i.e., H1-B visa, F-1 visa (OPT), TN visa or any other non-immigrant status).
Please send a resume, cover letter, and work samples to email@example.com.