Data Visualization and Analytics Lead
About Texas 2036
Texas 2036 uses data, research, and leading expertise to enable Texans to make informed decisions to ensure our state continues to be the best place to live and do business through its bicentennial in 2036 and beyond. Texas 2036 is achieving this mission through the creation of robust data resources, a long-term state policy strategic framework, and a statewide, non-partisan coalition of Texans advocating for meaningful long-term policy solutions. We are a dynamic, rapidly evolving organization seeking energetic individuals passionate about creating a long-term vision for the future of Texas and developing data-informed, pragmatic policy solutions to solve the state’s long-term challenges.
The Data Visualization and Analytics Lead contributes to the success of Texas 2036 by translating data analyses into effective data products and visualizations. The Texas 2036 Data Team, under the direction of the Director of Data and Analytics, collaborates on the creation and implementation of a robust vision for the use of data in guiding state policy, informing the public, and supporting the development of all Texas 2036 digital data experiences. The Data Visualization and Analytics Lead leads the design and implementation of data products and data visualization that communicate, in compelling and interactive ways, the most pressing issues for Texas today.
- Serve as front-end developer to design and deploy rich, performant, analytical applications from the ground up (prototyping experience a plus!)
- Create a variety of static and interactive visualizations for a wide range of audiences
- Help bring data stories to life through insightful and intuitive dashboards and tools
- Develop elegant solutions that elevate data and insights to a non-technical audience, and work directly with stakeholders to iterate and evolve impactful data products
- Create and maintain interactive platform, providing custom dashboards for stakeholders
- Serve as a strong visualization partner to other members of the Texas 2036 Data Team
- Train other members of the Data Team on data visualizations and products as needed
- Contribute to the overall success of the organization by completing all other tasks as assigned.
- Desire to see Texas be the best place to live and work through 2036 and beyond
- Strong user interface design skills, including developing thoughtful user experiences, considering layout, color, and other design elements to develop user-friendly web applications
- Proficiency in conducting complex queries, including writing SQL, and are familiar with modern databases
- Proficiency in scripting languages for server side data manipulation such as R Shiny and Python (pandas/numpy); Bash is not required but welcome
- Knowledge of design concepts related to charting metaphors, the use of color and typography, and ability to design clear, intuitive visualizations
- Experience designing, building, and iterating on interfaces, with a strong sense of the holistic user experience, not just the individual pieces
- Familiarity with modern scripting and data analysis packages that allow for reproducible analysis, such as NumPy, SciPy, pandas, scikit-learn, tidyverse, ggplot2, dplyr
- Familiarity with spatial analysis (ArcGIS, QGIS, or sf)
- Experience working with publicly-available datasets through APIs (e.g. U.S. Census, Bureau of Labor Statistics, Bureau of Economic Analysis)
- Highly motivated self-starter with strong, positive, ‘can do’ attitude and motivation to explore new technologies
- Strong collaborator and excels equally working on cross-functional teams and independently
- Excellent organization and prioritization skills
- Proclivity to identify work that needs to be done or a problem that needs to be solved and quick to take the initiative to do so, even when not directed or assigned to do so
- Thrives in a dynamic, fast-paced environment while managing many simultaneous projects
- Bachelor’s degree in statistics, computer science, data science, operations research, public policy, economics, operations management, supply chain, finance or other data-intensive discipline required
- 5+ years of experience in data visualizations/design work
- 2+ years of experience in project or team management
- Preferred qualifications:
- Post-graduate degree (Master’s degree or higher)
- Experience modelling (regression, machine learning, feature selection, dimension reduction, validation) and sourcing (extracting, preparing, munging, validating) data
- Experience with advanced statistics for optimization, simulation modeling, scenario modeling (e.g. markov, monte carlo, GLM)
- Ability to produce rich experiences with interactive tools such as D3.js, Vega, Vega-Lite
- Knowledge and/or experience of front-end frameworks such as React, Next.js, and Idyll that can assist in creating dynamic, flexible, and rich user-experiences
Compensation and Benefits
Compensation is commensurate with experience. Texas 2036 offers health, vision, and dental insurance, including contributions by Texas 2036 toward employee premiums, cell phone reimbursement, a 401k matching program, and a flexible time off policy.
The Data Visualization and Analytics Lead position will be based in Texas 2036’s Austin office and may be required to travel regularly (up to 30% of the time) to cities across Texas for meetings with various stakeholders, including board members, advisors, stakeholders, partners, and Texas 2036 colleagues.
Applicants for employment in the US must have work authorization that does not now or in the future require sponsorship of a visa for employment authorization in the United States and with Texas 2036 (i.e., H1-B visa, F-1 visa (OPT), TN visa or any other non-immigrant status).
Please send a resume, cover letter, and work samples and/or links to a portfolio to email@example.com.