Data Management and Analysis Lead
About Texas 2036
Texas 2036 uses data, research, and leading expertise to enable Texans to make informed decisions to ensure our state continues to be the best place to live and do business through its bicentennial in 2036 and beyond. Texas 2036 is achieving this mission by creating robust data resources, a long term state policy strategic framework, and a statewide, non-partisan coalition of Texans advocating for meaningful long-term policy solutions. We are a dynamic, rapidly evolving organization seeking energetic individuals passionate about creating a long-term vision for the future of Texas and developing data-driven, pragmatic policy solutions to solve the state’s long-term challenges.
The Texas 2036 Data Team, led by the Director of Data and Analytics, implements a robust vision for the use of data in guiding state policy and develops the Texas 2036 digital data experience, including the Texas 2036 data platform and reporting tools. Members of the Data Team are smart data professionals interested in using their data skills to directly shape policy and public opinion on the topics that impact the future of Texas.
The Data Management and Analysis Lead is a technically proficient data analyst with database management skills, is experienced with administrative and public data, and is committed to improving the organization’s policy areas of focus. This role will be responsible for maintaining the Texas 2036 Data Lab and other data platforms, working with external stakeholders to inform dataset selection and functionality, and conducting data analyses aligned to policy.
- Administer the existing datalab.texas2036.org, including managing the vendor contract, and drive continuous improvement of the platform to improve the user experience, curate and link the dataset library, and develop additional functionality
- Acquire, format, curate, tag, and upload datasets to be used for data analysis and visualizations, including researching and evaluating potential datasets, tracking down suggested datasets, and submitting informal, formal, and Public Information Act requests for data
- Manage and maintain the data catalog, definitions, standards, governance and regulations surrounding data in the environment
- Manage the selection of datasets and measures as key performance indicators for Texas 2036 policy recommendations and help to create supporting dashboards
- Conduct ad hoc analyses and create clear and compelling data visualizations of data resources
- Provide thought leadership for the design, development, and support of unique, best-in-class data tools focused on making Texas data more accessible and usable for the citizens and leaders of the state
- Work with Director to evaluate, select, and manage contracts with vendors for technical and data-related services
- Work with vendors to acquire data sources and platforms that can support the Data Team’s development and implementation of web-based data tools
- Attend data-related meetings with data vendors, data collaboratives, conferences, and meetings with Texas 2036 consultants and partners, as needed
- Advise Director of Data and Analytics on data policy and governance, as needed
- Directly supervise and mentor other Data Team staff, as needed
- Perform other duties as assigned to help the organization achieve its long-term goals
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Data Science, Cognitive Science, Statistics, Mathematics, Health Science, Geospatial Sciences, Quantitative Social Science, or other data-intensive discipline
- 3+ years of experience in data management, curation, analysis, documentation, and reporting
- Sophisticated analytics and database skills, including proficiency in Python, SQL, and Github
- Proficiency in statistical programming languages, such as R, SAS, or Stata
- Experience working with publicly-available datasets through APIs (e.g. U.S. Census, Bureau of Labor Statistics, Bureau of Economic Analysis)
- Desire to see Texas be the best place to live and work through 2036 and beyond
- Highly motivated self-starter with strong, positive, ‘can do’ attitude and motivation to explore new technologies
- Proven team player and collaborator with an innovative spirit and ability to multi-task
- Strong verbal and written communication skills, particularly the ability to summarize technically complex information for a non-technical audience
- Data savvy personality with proven attention to detail and accuracy
- Excellent organization and prioritization skills
- Thrives in a dynamic, fast paced environment while managing many simultaneous projects
- Post-graduate degree (Master’s degree or higher)
- Background and experience in field related to Texas 2036 policy areas, including health care, education and workforce, or others
- 3+ years supervisory experience managing a team
- Strong data visualization skills with Tableau, Power BI, or R Shiny
Compensation and Benefits
Compensation is commensurate with experience. Texas 2036 offers health, vision, and dental insurance including contributions by Texas 2036 toward employee premiums, cell phone reimbursement, and a 401(k) matching program.
The Data Management and Analysis Lead position will be based in Texas 2036’s Austin office and may be required to travel regularly (up to 30% of the time) to cities across Texas for meetings with various stakeholders, including board members, advisors, stakeholders, partners, and Texas 2036 colleagues.
Applicants for employment in the US must have work authorization that does not now or in the future require sponsorship of a visa for employment authorization in the United States and with Texas 2036 (i.e., H1-B visa, F-1 visa (OPT), TN visa or any other non-immigrant status).
Please send a resume, cover letter, and work samples to firstname.lastname@example.org.