About Texas 2036
Texas 2036 is a nonprofit organization building long-term, data-driven strategies to secure Texas’ prosperity through our state’s bicentennial and beyond. We offer non-partisan ideas and modern solutions that are grounded in research and data on issues that matter most to all Texans. We are a dynamic organization seeking energetic individuals passionate about making a positive impact on the future of Texas.
Working with Texas 2036 colleagues, the Communications Specialist will develop ways to tell Texas’ story based on data, trends, and policy research that will raise awareness and inspire action by policymakers, the media, stakeholders, and the public.
The Communications Specialist’s responsibilities include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Plan, investigate, draft, and refine content for Texas 2036 that promotes our policies, data, and mission, including responsibility for reports, issue papers, emails, speeches, testimony, website content, blog posts, press releases, op eds, social media, presentations, etc.
- Research the topic, set up meetings with team members, and develop communications that present the data and trends in the most engaging ways
- Assist fellow team members in explaining what the data or policy means to Texans, including helping to brainstorm ideas, explore, investigate, and analyze the data and policies being highlighted
- Edit, finetune, bulletproof and spot-check communications
- Teach and encourage writing best practices
- Perform other duties as assigned to help the organization achieve its long-term goals
The ideal Communications Specialist candidate will have a combination of the following qualifications and experience:
- Experience writing for a newsroom, government agency, non-profit or business
- Excellent interpersonal skills, solid editorial judgment, and the ability to write quickly and concisely
- A passion for helping Texas to be the best place to live and work through our bicentennial and beyond
- Knowledge of Texas history, government, media, and culture preferred
- Excellent time management skills and ability to multitask and prioritize responsibilities
- Highly motivated, self-starting with strong, positive, ‘can do’ attitude
- A bachelor’s degree, preferably in a writing-intensive discipline
- Eligible to work in the United States without sponsorship
- Texas 2036 knows there are great candidates who won’t have everything we’ve described above, or who have important skills we haven’t thought of. When in doubt, apply and use the cover letter to tell us more.
Compensation and Benefits
Compensation is competitive and commensurate with experience. Texas 2036 employees are eligible to participate in several organization-sponsored benefits including health, vision, and dental insurance with employee premiums paid by Texas 2036, cell phone reimbursement, and a 401k matching program. In addition, you will be entitled to generous paid time off, comp time, and paid parental leave policies. Texas 2036 provides a flexible and entrepreneurial work environment in which we expect personal accountability in efficiently performing high-quality work in collaboration with colleagues and representing the organization well through professional communication and conduct.
The Communications Specialist will be based out of Texas 2036’s Austin office and must be willing to travel as needed (up to 10% of the time) to cities across Texas for meetings with various stakeholders, including board members, advisors, stakeholders, partners, and colleagues.
COVID Vaccination Requirement
Consistent with our legal obligation to provide a safe work environment, Texas 2036 requires proof of vaccination against COVID-19 prior to employment. Texas 2036 does not discriminate against individuals based on any protected characteristic including race, color, national origin, religion, sex or gender, disability, or genetic information.
If you are interested in applying for the Communications Specialist position, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with your resume as well as a cover letter addressing your interest in the position and how your experience aligns with the position’s responsibilities and qualifications.