About Texas 2036
Texas 2036 uses data, research, and leading expertise to enable Texans to make informed decisions to ensure our state continues to be the best place to live and do business through its bicentennial in 2036 and beyond. Texas 2036 is achieving this mission by creating robust data resources, a long-term state policy strategic framework, and a statewide, non-partisan coalition of Texans advocating for meaningful long-term policy solutions. We are a dynamic, rapidly evolving organization seeking energetic individuals passionate about creating a long-term vision for the future of Texas and developing data-informed, pragmatic policy solutions to solve the state’s long-term challenges.
The Communications Specialist is creative, curious and comfortable working as a critical communications team member responsible for developing engaging presentations, handouts, social media, emails and other important content and design, as well as help create digital advertising to engage and mobilize our followers to support our mission of Texas being the best place to live and work.
In this role, the Communications Specialist will handle the development of presentations, handouts and social media that present and communicate critical Texas data, research findings, policy recommendations and aspirational goals. Further, the Communications Specialist will execute communications to identify, educate and mobilize supporters via email, website, social media and text. This person will play a key role in helping Texas 2036 engage key audiences across Texas counties, industries and communities with timely and trustworthy information and act as a key creative partner in developing compelling ideas for digital campaigns and communications opportunities.
- Develop content and graphics for presentations, emails, issue papers, blogs, social media, media relations, and development
- Contribute to the communications team ideas, content and graphics to support a robust communications editorial calendar that includes engaging presentations, issue papers, social media content and graphics in support of our mission
- Handle live-tweeting or videotaping key events and help the communications team respond to media inquiries, stakeholder requests and social media posts by building and formatting content so that will resonate with key audiences
- Work closely with the Manager of Communications to develop graphics and content for the social media calendar and digital advertising plan, including display and search ads on Google, YouTube, Facebook, Instagram and Twitter
- Support graphic, video and content development for events and emails, including those that involve education, advocacy, fundraising
- Work with the communications team to identify and implement new ways to communicate with our growing Texas 2036 community
- Contribute to the overall success of the organization by completing all tasks as assigned
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent in Communications, Marketing, Public Relations or related field
- At least three years’ experience in communications, including one or more of the following: graphics design, social media, marketing, public relations, fundraising, public affairs, legislative advocacy, media relations, presentation development, video editing and event planning
- Graphics design skills, including proficiency in Photoshop and InDesign
- Significant knowledge of social engagement as it relates to advocacy, fundraising, political campaigns and/or building online nonprofit communities
- Desire to see Texas be the best place to live and work through 2036 and beyond
- Knowledge of Texas history, culture, diversity, and political systems preferred
- Excellent time management skills and ability to multi-task and prioritize responsibilities
- Exceptional attention to detail and well-developed problem-solving skills
- Highly motivated, self-starting with strong, positive, ‘can do’ attitude
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Strong organizational and planning skills
- Proven team player and collaborator with an innovative spirit with the ability to multi-task
- Demonstrated time management skills and a high level of accuracy and thoroughness
Applicants must be able to think outside the box and work on multiple projects simultaneously. The Communications Specialist will encounter frequent new and varied communications opportunities and challenges under time constraints, given the changing nature of the public environment. Therefore, Job involves a moderate degree of complexity or difficulty due to these multiple tasks and time constraints. As communications today occurs 24/7, late night, early morning or weekend work may be required to support communications for the organization.
Compensation and Benefits
Compensation is commensurate with experience. Texas 2036 offers health, vision, and dental insurance, including contributions by Texas 2036 toward employee premiums, cell phone reimbursement, a 401k matching program, and a generous PTO policy.
The Communications Specialist position will be based in Texas 2036’s Austin office and may be required to travel less than 15 percent of their time to cities across Texas for meetings with various stakeholders, including reporters, board members, advisors, stakeholders, partners, and Texas 2036 colleagues.
Please send a resume with a cover letter to Merrill Davis, Director of Communications, at email@example.com.